1. What is the difference between the EACH programme and the Applied Measurement Science programme?
    The EACH programme is about analytical chemistry (incl. chemical metrology and quality assurance) and includes compulsory mobility to one of the three partner universities: Uppsala University, Sweden; University Claude Bernard Lyon 1, France; and Åbo Akademi University, Finland. Please read about the EACH programme here: https://each.ut.ee/EACH/the-study-program/
    The Applied Measurement Science programme is about physical measurements and testing, analytical chemistry, metrology, and quality assurance and the students studying only in Tartu (see https://ams.ut.ee/). There is no integrated mobility and EU scholarships are not available for the students applying directly to the Applied Measurement Science programme.
  2. Can all students enrolled in the EACH programme attend the EACH Winter School, and will the participation costs be covered by the EACH programme?
    Yes, Winter School is an integrated part of the programme and is compulsory for the enrolled students. The costs of all enrolled students will be covered by the EACH programme.
  3. Am I eligible to apply for the EACH programme, if I do not have my Bachelor’s diploma (or equivalent education certificate) at the time of application?
    Yes, applicants graduating in July of 2020 as the latest are eligible to apply. Admitted students need to hand in their degree certificate (diploma and diploma supplement) as soon as they receive it. Those graduating in 2020 will be first offered conditional admission. Conditional admission is valid until July 31, thus the degree certificate (or other relevant graduation documents) must be sent to Tartu by July 31, 2020. If you expect to graduate later, you cannot be admitted to the programme this year but are welcome to apply for the next year.
  4. Do I need to apply for scholarship (both the programme/partner country and tuition-waiver scholarship) separately from the programme application?
    No, application to the EACH programme also involves scholarship application, thus there is no need to apply separately to the scholarships described at the website.
  5. The language of instructions in my previous study level was English. Do I still need to submit an English language certificate?
    English language requirement may only be waived if an applicant has studied in English (with English as medium of instruction) in full-time student status in a higher education institution in one of the following countries: USA, Canada, Australia, New Zealand or any of the EU/EEA member states. If the country where you studied does not belong to this list, you are required to take one of the international English language tests (please find further information at https://each.ut.ee/EACH/admission-requirements/). The electronic result of the language test or the proof of having registered to a test must be uploaded (together with all other documents) to the admission system by Jan 11. The result on paper must arrive by Feb 28 (as all other documents).
  6. I am a citizen of a partner country, but I have been resident of an EU country for 12 months (or more) during the last five years. For which scholarship do I qualify?
    You will qualify for the programme country scholarship as well as the tuition-waiver scholarship.
  7. If I am admitted as a self-paying student (i.e. I receive neither of the three possible scholarships), will there be a chance that I can get a scholarship if some student who has it, drops out?
    No, there is no such possibility. If you are admitted as a self-paying student you will have this status throughout your studies.
  8. If I want to make sure I am eligible to apply, should I send my education certificates first by e-mail (to each@ut.ee) to find out whether I qualify for the programme?
    No, please submit all relevant enclosures to the online application system.  The programme administrators regularly check the online application system and give feedback on submitted applications. The sooner you send your application, the faster we can notify if something is missing.
  9. Whom should I contact if I fail to upload required documents to the online application system or I encounter problems I cannot fix?
    Send an e-mail to the address each@ut.ee. Do not leave application process to the last minute since the deadlines are strict, and we can help those who have acted well on time. Late or incomplete applications will not be processed.
  10. What happens if I post (by snail-post) unsigned application form although it is required to have signature on my application form?
    You are obliged to send the signed application form, so once you notice that or have been informed so by the EACH coordinator, print out the new application, sign it and send by post.
  11. Where to send my application and required documents?
    Student Admissions
    University of Tartu
    Ülikooli 18-132, Tartu 50090, ESTONIA.
  12. When can I expect my letter of admission and will there be enough time to apply for a visa/residence permit?
    Please see the planned schedule of notifications at the address: each.ut.ee/EACH/admission-requirements/
    We suggest that all applicants who require a visa to enter Estonia try to familiarize themselves with visa /residence permit application processes in advance: https://ut.ee/en/visainfo
  13. When is the last date to submit the language test result?
    The electronic result of the language test or the proof of having registered to a test (registration certificate) must be uploaded (together with all other documents) to the admission system by Jan 11. The result on paper must arrive by Feb 28 (as with all the other documents).
  14. Is there a possibility to work during the EACH studies to earn money?
    A: In the case of Tartu, the residence permit that you will get for Estonia will allow you to work. However, our experience with this is that it is difficult for an international student to find work at Tartu. One obstacle is that foreign students, as a rule, do not know the Estonian language, the other one is that most employers would like you to work full-time, which is not compatible with your studies. It is unfortunately impossible to predict how successful you will be with looking for a job. In Uppsala the situation is similar. You are allowed to work. However, Uppsala University does not regularly employ students as teaching assistants or research assistants which is common at, for example, American universities, nor do we have any specific work-study programmes for students. University departments might employ a few exceptionally talented students for research projects, but students should never count on being able to find a job at the university. Outside the university, it can also be difficult to find a job that pays enough to support yourself, especially if you do not speak Swedish. As the cost of employing someone is high in Sweden, many part-time jobs that may exist in other countries have also been replaced by machines or other technical solutions in Sweden. Finding part-time employment is especially difficult in Uppsala since Uppsala is a small town with a lot of students all looking for part-time jobs. You can find general information about working in Sweden here: https://sweden.se/work-business/working-in-sweden.
    Uppsala University also offers career lectures and seminars in English, as well as feedback on your CV and cover letter from our Study and Career Counsellors; read about this here: https://www.uu.se/en/students/degrees-and-careers/careers-and-employment/. In Åbo the student may get a salary for up to 6 months during the MSc thesis work (usually the second half of the second year). However, the possibility to receive such a salary depends essentially on the availability of funding and can therefore not be guaranteed. The Lyon study track is different. It is closely linked to industry and a large part of the studies will be carried out at industry. During the time period that student spends at industry, the industry will pay a small salary (about 650 EUR/month) to the student (this is required by law in France).
  15. Are there any other scholarship possibilities besides the EACH EU and Tuition Waiver scholarships?
    There are some possibilities in all countries:
    Estonia: https://www.studyinestonia.ee/Master-degree-scholarships
    Sweden: As a student or researcher at Uppsala University you have the opportunity to apply for scholarships each semester, both within the university and through the student unions and the student nations. Available scholarships are announced at the start of each semester and paid out at the end of the semester to the students who’ve received a scholarship. Application is done online. Most scholarships are awarded on merit rather than need, so having good grades from previous studies is beneficial. For more information on these scholarships, please visit our website: https://www.uu.se/en/admissions/scholarships/current_students/
    You can see also: https://www.uu.se/student/stipendier/?languageId=1 and
    Finland: http://www.abo.fi/student/stipendier
    France: Yes (see the previous question and answer). However, all of them are competition-based and the level of success is difficult to predict.
  16. What is the best way to get to Tartu from Tallinn airport?
    Please see https://each.ut.ee/EACH/getting-to-and-around-in-tartu/
  17. Where is the Chemicum, Physicum, Dormitory, etc.?
    Please see https://each.ut.ee/EACH/getting-to-and-around-in-tartu/
  18. In my country, the ECTS credit system is not used and the grading system is different from Europe. How will my previous education be evaluated?
    Indeed, there is a large number of different grading systems used in different countries, most of them not directly related to ECTS. At the same time, there are knowledgeable people here in the UT admission unit who manage the applications. They recalculate the credits and grades to a unified scale. They have been doing this for years and are very experienced. So, you do not need to worry about this issue.

Last modified: February 1, 2024